Friday 6 February 2009

boo.

boo.

i'm cool with the random, freely spaced line quilting but NOT COOL with the crappy basting job i did which has resulted in folds aplenty on the backside. so much unpicking and rebasting ahead of me, it makes me shudder to think. but i've already put such a good number of hours into the quilting, especially with unpicking, smoothing out and resewing bits of almost every line, that i just need to admit defeat and start over. the main problem is the lack of space to do a proper basting job, there is nowhere in my house to lay a quilt this size out flat so i tried to spread it out over our bed. didn't work. i thought maybe i could make it work by spreading the fabric really tightly as i quilted across but no, i was kidding myself, it's just too big. so. unpicking. lots of unpicking. and then i have some sort of plan to do a hanging basting job from our picture rail, with clips and hooks. shane has been brought onboard so it might just work but, for now, and again, this project is on hold. boo.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:23 pm

    This happened to me too. And I'll tell you what I did. I went and bought basting spray, or textile spray adhesive, which is just another name for the same thing. And while I'm still picking out stitching from the quilt that I flubbed, I used the basting spray to stick another quilt sandwich together and it seems to be working. You don't even really need to lay the whole thing flat, as you can spray baste in sections. And its repositionable, so you can move it about a bit to make sure it's nice and flat and taut. Then, I would do your stitch basting or pin basting over that, just to be extra sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to leave the same comment as Sarah!! I haven't tried the spray yet, but I would if I made bigger quilts. Ditto to her comment (Spotlight's open late tonight!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:47 am

    How about laying a huge sheet down outside/in the garage first, taping that to the ground and then layering up your quilt on top of that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. Don't we all have a love/hate relationship with the seamripper. Sorry to hear that you'll be spending so much time with one! Maybe you could rent some good DVDs to help pass the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the tips, everyone! i think i might give the basting spray a try. i was a bit wary of it because of my years of graphic design spray glue use but now i've found out it has no smell and washed out.

    sam, we don't have a garage, just an undercover carport so i think it would be too annoying to deal with the wind there.

    and ginger, the dvds are a brilliant idea! i could rent a bunch of girly movies and unpick to my hearts content, make a little party out of it : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like your all sorted, love the colors!i spray baste on the dinner table or on the washing line.Maybe a trip to amitie to use the massive work tables;)any excuse for another visit ay?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:08 pm

    I came to suggest basting spray (505 is the best IMO) but I see I was beaten to the punch. I never pin or stitch baste any more.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, thanks so much for taking the time to comment! If you have a question to ask, I will answer it here (and by email as well, if I can track down your email address). I would love to reply to every single comment but until Blogger makes it easier to reply by email, please know that I am so happy you stopped by : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...